5th Grade Counselor - Mrs. Corbett
6th Grade Counselor - Mrs. Bodin
FOR STUDENT SAFETY AND WELL BEING CONCERNS AFTER SCHOOL HOURS
PLEASE CONTACT C.I.S.D. KID CHAT at 1-888-543-2428.
What does the Counselor do?
We all experience a time in our lives when we need help. Kids are just like adults! They grieve when someone dies. They experience loss and anger when they move. Children become frustrated when changes occur in families or at school that they cannot control. Counseling helps us all by talking about how we feel and making plans to cope with whatever is causing us pain.
Mrs. Tara Bodin and Mrs. Debi Corbett are the school counselors at Tom Cox Intermediate. Mrs. Corbett is the fifth grade counselor and Mrs. Bodin works with sixth, but are available to all students. They assist parents, students, faculty, and administration. The school counselor teaches numerous guidance lessons in all of the classrooms. The guidance curriculum is designed to help students acquire age-appropriate knowledge and skills within the scope of the following content areas:
- Self-confidence development
- Motivation to achieve
- Decision-making, Goal-setting, and Problem-solving skills
- Responsible Behavior
- Cross cultural effectiveness
- Communication skills
- Interpersonal effectiveness
Small group counseling sessions are provided for children who support each other with changes or problems in their lives. In addition, a child may see the school counselor for short-term individual counseling or during a family crisis. Parents or teachers are encouraged to talk with the school counselor to help them gain more understanding of a problem their child or student is facing.
Counseling referrals are made by:
- A teacher contacting the parents and suggesting counseling.
- A parent requesting counseling through the teacher.
- A parent calling the principal or assistant principal and asking that the counselor see his or her child.
- Parent phone call to counselor at (281)-465-3200